Monday, October 13, 2014

Sourdough "Grape Nut" Cereal

One of my favorite foods growing up was cereal.  I used to have it for breakfast and snacks and I ate it a lot during college. A couple of years ago I gave up cereal because most all of the cereals at the grocery store are highly processed, filled with sugar and hard to digest.  Here is a recipe for a healthier cereal option to fill those cereal cravings.

Here is what you are going to need:

- about 2 cups of liquid (i use water but you could use milk)
- 1/2 c sourdough starter
- 3 cups of flour (I use freshly ground whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

1. Mix together the sourdough starter and the water and flour.  You want a thick batter so you might need a little less water.  Then let the batter let sit out on the counter in a covered glass bowl for at least 8 hours or overnight.



2. After the batter has soaked, preheat oven to 350.  Add in the salt and baking soda and mix well.  Pour batter into a baking sheet or two (I should have used two because mine went over the sides and made a big mess...). 


3. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.


4. Turn down the oven to 250. Let your baked bread cool slightly then either put the bread into a food processor and pulse until you have small pieces. You can also use a box grater and take chunks of bread and grate it into small pieces.

5. Then bake again at 250 for 45 minutes until the pieces are nice and crispy.  (Some of my pieces are bigger than I would have liked, but it still tasted good)


6. You can store the cereal in an air tight container or serve immediately in milk. It is amazing how much it tastes like the grape nuts I had when I was younger.  These grape nuts would taste great with a few raisins or some dried cranberries added in.







No comments:

Post a Comment