Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Homemade Sourdough Pizza


Pizza would have to be one of my favorite things to eat. I know most pizza is bad for you, but I really like it.  Here is a yummy, simple and healthier pizza that you can make at home and it is a lot cheaper too!!  
I have tried a number of different pizza crusts and I haven't found one that I love. Last night I had some sourdough English muffins dough fermenting because I was going to make tuna melts for dinner, but I changed my mind and decided to see if my English muffin dough would work for a pizza, and indeed it worked and it was tasty!! 

Here is what you are going to need:

For the crust--
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 3/4 to 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda


Toppings--
This is really up to you....
I used BBQ sauce, turkey sausage, cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese.

Start early on making the crust.  I did this right before I made breakfast.  You could start the night before if you wanted to have it for lunch or for an early dinner.

1. Mix together flour, starter, and water. Let sit for at least 8 hours.


2. Then mix in the salt and baking soda.

3. Pour batter onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan and let rise for 45 minutes.  I poured the batter on the cookie sheet then used a spoon to kind of spread it out.  It is a really sticky dough so it would be difficult to roll out with a rolling pin.


4. Preheat oven to 375 and put in pizza crust for about 10 minutes to cook it until it is nearly but not quite cooked all the way.


5. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes then add toppings.


Let the pizza cool for a few minutes and then slice it up and serve it out. This crust is light and fluffy and delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment