Saturday, August 16, 2014

Homemade Dry Shampoo

I think that dry shampoo was invented for moms..... I can't tell you how many mornings I did not had time to take a shower and wash my hair, so I ended up putting on a hat and heading out the door.  By putting some dry shampoo near the roots of your hair it can extend the days in between hair washings. My hairdresser was telling me about dry shampoo the last time I got my hair cut. She was telling me that the stuff work really well and that she knows many moms who use dry shampoo and it helps them so much. So I got some and decided to give it a try. I really liked it! The only down side was the one I got was a lighter spray and my hair is pretty dark, so it didn't blend in all that well. Then the other day in my email I was sent a super simple dry shampoo recipe for dark hair. Just what I needed!! Thanks DIY Natural!

Here is what you are going to need:

- 1/2 cup cornstarch (organic is best)

Optional add ins--

- 3-4 drops essential oils for scent
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (for dark hair)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (for red or auburn hair)

 Stir cornstarch with the optional ingredients and put in a container with holes in it, I had an old empty pepper shaker that I used. You could use an old Parmesan cheese container or a mason jar with holes poked in the top.

I decided not to add essential oils this time, I was thinking about adding orange essential oil in, but I wasn't sure since I used cocoa powder for my dark hair. Maybe next time I will try the essential oils. 


Dry shampoo is always applied at the roots of the hair. Use a brush or a comb and separate sections of your hair, shaking the powder onto your scalp. Massage it into the surrounding hair and let it sit for approximately two minutes–just enough time to absorb all that oil. When you’re finished, brush the dry shampoo through your hair until it is no longer visible.





No comments:

Post a Comment