Monday, August 4, 2014

Sourdough Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Aebleskievers

When I was growing up we would go visit my grandparents in Santa Barbara, CA. I always loved going to visit that city, it is beautiful, it has a beach, and the weather is usually great.  When we would visit, we would drive up to a town about an hour away called Solvang. It is a quaint Danish town.  They have lots of fun shops as well as great restaurants. We were introduced to aebleskievers  "apple skeevers" which are like spherical pancake. My dad liked them so much that he bought a cast iron aebleskiever pan so he could make them at home. I loved it when he would often make them for breakfast on the weekends. A couple years ago he passed the pan along to me and I have been making them for my boys. This morning I made some with mini chocolate chip and orange flavored crasins. Yum!!

Here is what you are going to need:

- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup of sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey, stevia or sugar (more or less, depending on how sweet you like it) I used a mix of honey and stevia.
- 1 cup mix of chocolate chips and orange flavored dried cranberries (I get them at Trader Joe's). Feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand, raisins, blueberries, strawberries would all work well.


1. Combine flour, oats, starter and about 1 1/2 cups of water into a large mixing bowl. You will want a thick batter, so you might need more or less water depending on what type of flour you used.  I used fresh milled whole wheat flour and I used nearly 2 cups of water.  Mix together well then let sit for at least 8 hours or over night. (Don't forget to feed your starter)


2. Then after 8 hours of soaking your batter should be bubbly, add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.



3. Heat up your aebleskiever pan or you can use a skillet to make pancakes or a waffle maker to make waffles with this batter. 


4. Spoon in the batter and cook. 


5. Flip when ready.


6. Dip in maple syrup or cream or eat plain. These are fun and delicious!!






No comments:

Post a Comment