Saturday, August 16, 2014

Crock Pot Refried Beans


Refried beans are great to make to use for lunches or dinners or freeze for later. In my quest of eliminating canned foods from my pantry, I have been making my own refried beans and I have been using this recipe.  These refried beans are healthier, cheaper and tastier than the canned variety! 

Here is what you are going to need:

- 1 lb of dried pinto beans
- half of a large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 cups filtered water


1. Rinse the beans and put them in the crock pot, sort through and take out any pebbles or bad looking beans.  Soak the beans over night.  Make sure you put enough water in to cover the beans as they will expand as they soak.  Soaking the beans makes them more digestible and also cuts down on the cooking time.


2. In the morning, drain the beans an put them back in the crock pot and add in the spices and the chopped onion and minced garlic. (I didn't have any paprika so I didn't use any this time)  I also used  a couple tablespoons of bacon fat to add in a little flavor.  Stir the beans well and add 3-4 cups of water. I used 3 1/2 cups of filtered water. You can use more or less water depending on if you like your beans thicker or thinner.




3. Cover the beans and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours.




4. Once the beans are very tender get out an immersion blender and blend until you get the consistence you like.  If you do not have an immersion blender you could also use a potato masher and mash until you achieve the consistency you desire.



5. Use this as a yummy dip for chips or put in your tacos or burritos. The refried beans should keep in the fridge for about a week and they freeze well too.  I used the refried beans to make tostadas for dinner.  



No comments:

Post a Comment