Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Breakfast Pastries


Here is another fun breakfast recipe. My oldest son is always asking me to make these. They are a bit like a small cinnamon roll. Soaking the flour overnight in butter and kefir helps to break down the flour an make it more digestible.  I took this recipe from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. These are also called Rugelach, which is a Jewish pastry.

Here is what you are going to need:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup kefir (see how to make it here)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar (a little less if you don't want it quite as sweet) I like to use less sugar an put a teaspoon of stevia in.
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 cup butter 
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup crispy pecans (optional) I don't really like nuts in my baked goods, so I usually don't add them in.

1. Mix together 1/2 cup of butter (one stick), kefir and flour and let sit for 12-24 hours. I usually let it sit overnight.



2. Then mix in rapadura, salt and vanilla. Preheat oven to 300.


3. Roll out the dough and put the butter, cinnamon and raisins over the top. My butter wasn't that softened, and I did not feel like getting another pan dirty to melt the butter, it still worked well with the butter in chunks.


4. Roll up the dough into two rolls.


5. Use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut the rolls into individual pastries and place them on a greased cookie sheet.


6. Bake at 300 for 45 min.  Let cool slightly, then serve and enjoy. If you wanted you could put frosting on the top, or whipped cream.  We usually gobble them up plain.  These do not last long in my house!





No comments:

Post a Comment