Saturday, July 5, 2014

Curried lentils over rice

This is a frugal and healthy dinner that my whole family will eat and I like that it is fast and easy.
here is what you are going to need:
2 cups red lentils
2 cups rice (lately I've been using white jasmine rice)
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons sea salt (I use real salt)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons curry powder
1 can coconut milk


1. Put the lentils in a bowl and cover with water a few inches above the lentils. add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and stir to mix in the vinegar, then cover with a towel and let it soak for at least 7 hours and up to 24 hours. (You might need to add more water as the lentils soak it up, keep them covered with water)

2. Drain lentils and the put them in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.

3. Put 2 cups rice and 4 cups broth and/or water into a pan or rice cooker and cook until rice is tender. I like to use my rice cooker.  

4. Once lentils are boiling take a spoon and a bowl and scoop out all the foam which is all the impurities and off flavors rising to the surface and place them in a bowl to discard. Then reduce the heat to a simmer then add the salt, pepper, and curry powder (if you like it spicy you could add a dash of cayenne) and cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.

5. Once lentils are tender add one can of coconut milk and let simmer for a couple more minutes.


6. Spoon rice into a bowl and top with lentils and enjoy!



**This makes enough to feed my family of 6 and we occasionally have leftovers. So if you have a small family you could halve the recipe .

**Lately I have been using white rice.  I think it tastes better and there is a debate on whether or not brown rice is really healthier.  Brown rice needs to be soaked to remove the anti-nutrients and phytates to make it easier to digest.  I'm not a fan of having to soak the rice and I'm not exactly sure of the right way to soak it. So for now we are using white rice.

**I try to soak my lentils before cooking them to break down the anti-nutrients and soaking the lentils also helps reduce the cooking time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment