Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sourdough pancakes

Right now we have a tradition of having pancakes on Saturday mornings.  For a while I was making soaked pancakes and I was soaking the flour in lemon juice and water but it seemed that it made some of my family gassy. Then I tried to mill buckwheat and make buckwheat pancakes and those turned out ok but were a little lacking in flavor. So then we tried sourdough pancakes and they were flavorful and easily digested by the family. Yay!  I adapted this recipe from here, and if you want a little more info about sourdough, click here.

Here is what you are going to need:

-3 cups flour (I use freshly ground)
-About 1/2 to 3/4 cup sourdough starter
-2 to 3 cups of water (depending on what kind of flour you use and how thick you like your pancakes. I use whole wheat flour and we like a thinner pancake so I use closer to the 3 cups if water)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add ins like blueberries, raisins, strawberries, chocolate chips, etc.


1. Mix together the flour, starter and the water and let it sit for 7-24 hours to ferment. I usually do this Friday night before bed.


2. Put a lid or a dish towel over it and let sit.


3. Don't forget to feed your starter a little flour and water. 


4.  In the morning your batter should look nice and bubbly.  


Mix in the eggs, the salt, and the baking soda.  In this batch I also decided to add some banana chunks and a teaspoon of stevia.


5.  Heat up yor electric skillet or a skillet over the stove. Once it is hot the spoon the pancakes on in your desired size.


6. Flip the pancakes over once bubbles pop up on the outside of the pancake and cook for a couple more minutes.



7. Keep on cooking and flipping until you have used up all your batter. Serve with butter or real maple syrup or you can have them plain with a glass of raw milk like we do.





No comments:

Post a Comment