Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Homemade carrot baby food

Baby food is something that is easy to make and it is healthy and inexpensive. Sometimes I make my own baby food and sometimes I buy it at the store.  I prefer to make baby food at home because I know all the ingredients in it and it is much cheaper, but I like the convenience of buying the baby food at the store. I like to add a little broth in to help with baby's digestion, add minerals, and add flavor and I also like to add a little Real Salt or Celtic Salt to add in minerals in too. You could make baby food with most any vegetables you would like to feed to your baby!  Carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, and peas are some of my favorites to make.

Here is what you are going to need:

- organic carrots (I used 4 large)
- 1/2 cup of broth (click here to see how to make homemade broth)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup water
- dash of salt



* this makes a small batch, it made 3 baby food jars full. If you want to make more just double or triple the recipe.


1. Wash, peel, and chop your carrots.



2.  Put carrots, broth, water and a dash of salt to the sauce pan. Cover and cook on medium low for about 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are really tender. Stir often and adding a little more water if needed to keep the carrots from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.


3. When the carrots are really tender, turn off the burner and let cool for a few minutes. Then put the carrots into the blender. (Or use an immersion blender)


4. Purée until smooth. It is important to get them really smooth so your baby doesn't choke on large pieces, feel free to blend it for a while just to make sure.


5. Spoon the carrot purée into baby food jars, or containers. 


6. Serve immediately or put in the fridge or freezer. It should keep for about a week in the fridge and for a few months in the freezer.




No comments:

Post a Comment