Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sourdough English Muffins

I really like sourdough, you can read more about the benefits of sourdough by clicking here.  This, is one of my favorite recipes, sourdough english muffins, I make these a few times a week.  I have always loved English muffins and I found this recipe here on the gnowfglins website and I have adapted it a little bit. 

Here is what you are going to need:

- a glass bowl, I love my kitchen aid glass mixing bowl (sourdough does not do well in plastic bowls or metal bowls)
- 2 cups of flour (I use freshly ground whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter  (to start your own sourdough starter click here )
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup of water
- 3/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda


1. Combine the flour and the sourdough starter and the water. Depending on what kind of flour you use you might need more or less water, if you use white flour you will probably need less water and if you use rye flour or whole wheat flour you will probably need about a cup of water or maybe a little more.  You want the batter to be thick, it will thin out overnight a little bit.  Mix the ingredients well and let sit for at least 8 hours.  I usually do this right before bed and let it sit overnight.  Cover with a dish towel.



2. Don't forget to feed your sourdough pet some flour and water too!! (I usually add in about a 1/2 cup of flour and about a 1/3 cup water, but you can add more or less depending on if you like your starter thicker or thinner)


3. In the morning it should look like this with all these beautiful bubbles in it!  Add in the salt and baking soda and mix very well.


4. I get out my electric griddle and spoon the batter into 8 portions (if you do not have an electric griddle you could use a greased cookie sheet)


5. Let the muffins rest on the griddle (or cookie sheet) for about 45 minutes do not plug the griddle in yet. Let them rest on the griddle while it is cool.

6. Turn on the griddle and I have the temp set around 350 and cook for about 7 minutes on the first side then about 4 minutes on the second side then unplug the griddle and let the muffins cool or take off the griddle and put on a rack or cutting board.  When they have cooled for about 15 minutes then take a fork and pierce the side all the way around it and then pull it open. Or you could cut it if that would be easier. I like them to have the texture of an english muffin and using the fork accomplishes that.  If you use a cookie sheet I would bake them for about 10 minutes at 350 but I would check them often.  I have never tried doing them on the cookie sheet and in the oven, so if you try it let me know how it goes!!


**We mostly use these for sandwiches with almond butter or peanut butter with jelly or raw honey. Yum! I have also used them as a bun for sloppy joe's or burgers and I have even used them for little pizzas just put a little tomato sauce and some cheese on them and stick them in the oven to melt the cheese for a minute and I have used them for tuna melts.  I think the possibilities are endless with these super yummy english muffins :)

No comments:

Post a Comment