Thursday, July 10, 2014

mexican beef and rice dish

My husband loves Mexican food and he loves rice.  So I'm always on the lookout for meals he would enjoy.  I was headed to a BBQ the other night and needed to bring a side dish, I was about out of food since I was headed to the store the next morning, so I needed to raid my freezer and pantry to come up with something to bring.  I made a dish similar to this only I did not add beef since we were barbecuing meat and it was a side dish.  It turned out really well, it was easy and everyone liked it, this time I added beef to make it an easy complete dinner meal.

Here is what you are going to need:

- 2 cups of rice (I use white jasmine)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 bell pepper any color, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, lard, or coconut oil
- 1/2 pound to 1 pound of ground beef (I had some I had cooked the day before)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- optional Cayenne pepper if you like it spicy
- 4 cups of water and/or broth
-saute pan
-saucepan or rice cooker


1. Over medium heat put 2 tablespoons of butter in saute pan, chop up onions, peppers and tomatoes and place in the saute pan with the butter.


 2. Saute the veggies for a few minutes stirring frequently. Put the rice in the rice cooker or saucepan and add water or broth and cook until tender.


 3. Add spices into the veggie mixture and saute until veggies are tender or caramelized, about 20 minutes.


 4. Once the rice is done stir in the veggies and the beef in with the rice.


 5. When you have it all mixed well, spoon into bowls and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment