Sunday, July 13, 2014

Homemade Fruit Snacks

I have always loved fruit snacks but I don't love all the ingredients in the ones at the store.  A couple weeks ago I found some homemade fruit snack recipes here and here and I wanted to give it a try, I kind of did a combination of both of the recipes to make this recipe. The fruit snacks turned out great and my boys were asking for more. They really are not that hard to make.  Gelatin is a great super food.  It is packed with protein and gelatin really helps to repair your digestive system.

Here is what you are going to need:

-2 1/2 cups fruit fresh or frozen. This time I'm using cherries but strawberries, blueberries would work well or any other fruit of choice.
-1/3 cup juice I had some cranberry juice on hand (fresh made juice is better)
-1/3 to 1/2 cup unflavored gelatin I get mine from azure standard or you can get it from amazon
-1/3 cup kombucha click here to see how to brew your own kombucha
-2 tablespoons of raw honey 
-1/4 teaspoon probiotics (optional)
-1/2 teaspoon Calm Magnesium powder (optional)
-Small sauce pan
-Some molds or ice trays or a parchment lined 9 x 13 glass baking dish, I'm going to use a cute duck mold I got off amazon and some ice trays I had in my cabinet.



1. Cut up the fruit and put it into the sauce pan and add the juice.


2. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes or until the fruit is soft.



3. I have a masher and I mash the fruit and juice together, you could also put this in the blender to make smooth or use an immersion blender. (last time i tried my immersion blender but my mixture wasn't deep enough and I got fruit puree splattered all over all over my kitchen)

4. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes.

5. Then add the magnesium, the probiotics, the raw honey, the kombucha and stir to mix well.


6. Very carefully and very slowly mix in the gelatin, stir continuously as you add in the gelatin otherwise it will clump up.  You might get a bit of an arm workout doing this.


7. Spoon mixture into molds or parchment lined baking dish.


8. Put in the fridge to cool and solidify for about 30 min to one hour.


9.  Use a knife to pop out the fruit snacks or a pizza cutter to cut them and put them into a bowl or storage container.


10. Enjoy! My son made a train out of them before he ate them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment