Thursday, July 24, 2014

Savory Sweet Potatoes with Bacon

A couple of my favorite foods right now, sweet potatoes and bacon. I know there is controversy around bacon right now. In the Maker's Diet, Jordan Rubin says to avoid all pork products because The Lord calls them unclean in the Bible. For a long while I too avoided pork products, but during my 4th pregnancy I really craved bacon so I started eating it again, and I'm really enjoying it for now. Who knows, maybe next year I won't be eating bacon.... we will see.  If you do not eat pork feel free to use turkey bacon.  I found this recipe here and adapted it a little bit.

Here is what you are going to need:

- 1/2 pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
-  4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- dash of cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- one green onion chopped
- a dash or two of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- the juice of one lime ( I didn't have a lime so I didn't use one)


1. Start cooking your bacon.


2. While the bacon is cooking, chop up garlic, green onions, and sweet potatoes.


3. Once your bacon is crispy remove it from the pan and drain off all but a couple tablespoons of the bacon fat. Then put the garlic and the sweet potatoes in the pan and add a little salt and some coconut oil if necessary.


4. Then whisk together in a small bowl the balsamic vinegar (I was nearly out so that is why you don't see much of it in the bowl), olive oil, lime juice, dash of cinnamon and a few red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper to taste. Then chop up or crumble your bacon.


5. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, turn off the heat and mix in the bacon and green onions.


6. Then add in the ingredients you whisked together in a bowl and stir well. I would usually do this in the pan too if I was eating at home (so I don't have more dishes to wash), but I was headed to a BBQ so I used a bowl to mix it all together.  Enjoy!! I seriously love this dish!!  It is a great side or would be a great lunch or even a nice breakfast, top it with a fried egg, yum!!



No comments:

Post a Comment